Dessert lovers are often confused between Flapjacks and Pancakes. It is understandable too as some call it the same while others point out that there are notable differences between both of these desserts. If you are here, it means that you also want to know are there any differences between Flapjacks and Pancakes.
Don’t worry. I have done the Flapjacks vs Pancakes comparison that you are looking for in this article. Every detail has been listed and discussed in detail to clear confusions. This confusion is mainly the result of geography. In the USA, Flapjacks and Pancakes are considered the same desserts. In the north, people use the term pancakes while southerners call it Flapjacks. But many know that these are not the same. Similarly, in Europe, Flapjacks and Pancakes are considered two completely different sweets.
Read the comparison to know everything. Let’s start!
Flapjacks vs Pancakes: What’s The Difference?
If you love to cook desserts, then you must have cooked pancakes. But the problem Americans face is that the recipes they see are often about Flapjacks. They do look somewhat similar, but there are many differences between them.
- Cooking Methods
- Time of eating
- And, Of course, nicknames.
Let’s dig a little deeper.
Pancakes appear like stacks of thin cakes placed on top of each other. Their shape is round and almost like a perfect circle.
Flapjacks are rectangular and appear thicker than pancakes.
Difference Of Ingredients
In the Pancakes, the main ingredients are butter, eggs, flour, and definitely some milk. The other ingredients that are added are:
- Vanilla essence
- Chocolate chips
- Fruits, like berries
In the Flapjacks, the primary ingredients are oats, brown sugar, syrup, and some butter. Some more ingredients that are added to make this sweet dish are;
- Chocolate chips
- Chia seeds
- Pumpkin seeds
In the Pancakes, the toppings consist of sweet fillings. Maple syrup, honey, and some other savory items like ice cream are added to make the topping sweet and delicious.
In The Flapjacks, chocolate and nuts are the main ingredients used to make the toppings. However, some people like to add apple slices as toppings. If you love this fruit, why don’t you also give it a try and see whether you like it or not.
Those who have supreme knowledge about desserts can immediately tell the dessert name by looking at the toppings. So, remember what is added to both desserts as a topping.
Pancakes just feel soft and light when you touch them. Similarly, the inside also feels soft and a bit squishy.
Flapjacks, on the other hand, feel crunchy, but they are also soft when you touch the inside. This crunch is due to the baking and really makes the time of consumption enjoyable.
The cooking method of these two desserts is another big difference between them.
Pancakes are generally fried on the pan. They are also cooked on the griddle.
Here’s the whole procedure:
- Begin by preparing the batter and leaving it out for a few minutes.
- Next, heat the pan, and meanwhile, do not add anything.
- Smear the batter on the heated pan. Make sure it ends up with a perfect circle.
- Let it there for some minutes until the underside seems cooked. After that, do some flipping for equal cooking.
- When the sides start to turn golden brown, it means the pancakes are cooked.
- If you want to make the pancakes fluffy, then add baking powder before smearing the batter.
- Serve it with bananas or blueberries with some juice too.
Flapjacks are generally baked. Here’s the cooking procedure:
- Begin by cutting some dates and adding them to orange juice.
- Pour it into a pan and then cook it for five minutes.
- You will see that a thick paste has been formed. Add water or some more juice to dilute it a bit.
- Next, time to add some butter, milk, and sugar to a separate pan. Stir it until the butter and sugar completely dissolve.
- After that, add some oats and then add the mixture to the diluted paste.
- Next, add this whole mixture to the tin to do some baking. You should use a spoon for this, as adding it directly might smear it.
- If you want to enrich the mixture with some more flavor, add some demerara sugar to the top now.
- Then, put the tin in the oven for baking. The time of the baking is generally half-hour, but some recommend 25 minutes. I suggest you go for the 25-minute timeline if you want the flapjacks to be crunchy. If you like the soft, then 30 to 3 minutes of baking time is fine. Anything more than that will be over-baking, and the Flapjack will be burned.
- Next, take the tin out and let it rest in the open. After a few minutes, use a knife to cut the flapjacks in a bar-like shape. Generally, no additional ingredient is added to the flapjack bars. But if you want, you can use some maple syrup, fruits, and even nuts.
Time Of Eating
The time of eating these two sweet dishes also differs. Pancakes are considered a breakfast meal. Parents love to give their kids this sweet delight with some orange juice right before they go to school. It is a great choice because Pancakes give energy for the rest of the day.
In comparison, Flapjacks are eaten at any time. In the UK, people eat it in the morning and even after dinner as a snack. When it comes to pancakes, it feels weird eating them any other time besides morning. This isn’t the same for Flapjacks.
Pancakes are often served with cut bananas and blueberries. Some people also love to eat them with ice cream.
Flapjacks are generally not served with any extra things. The restaurant also does not recommend you take something else with Flapjacks. These bars alone are super tasty and make you feel full shortly.
But now, health experts have been suggesting not to add anything with Pancakes either. They are already high in calories, and adding anything sweet to them can lead to health complications.
Pancakes have different varieties in different parts of the world. Three of the most famous ones are- Serabi in Indonesia, dosa in India, and Crepe in Eastern Europe.
Contrarily, there are no varieties of Flapjacks. You eat the same thing (with a slight difference in ingredients) in any part of the world.
Difference Of Names
One great piece of evidence for Americans who think that Flapjacks and Pancakes are the same is that the other names of these desserts are different too.
Pancakes are often called Griddle cakes and hotcakes. Hotcakes’ name is more popular. The other names of Flapjacks are granola bars and muesli, but very few use these terms.
Here’s a table to make things more clear:
|Appearance||Pancakes are Round (like circles)||Flapjacks are Rectangular (like bars)|
|Ingredients||The primary ingredients used to make Pancakes are butter, eggs, flour, and definitely some milk||The primary ingredients used to make Flapjacks are oats, brown sugar, syrup, and some butter.|
|Toppings||Maple syrup, honey, and some other savory items like ice cream are used as toppings||Chocolate and nuts are added as toppings on Flapjack bars|
|Texture||Soft in both sides||Crunchy on outside and soft on the inside|
|Cooking Methods||Pancakes are Pan fry||Flapjacks are baked|
|Eating time||Breakfast only||Any time of the day|
|Servings||With ice cream, maple syrup, blueberries and bananas||No additional ingredients are added as a serving|
|Varieties||Pancakes have different varieties and the famous ones are Serabi in indonesia, dosa in India, and Crepe in Eastern Europe||Fapjacks have no variety.|
|Other names||Griddle cakes and hotcakes||granola bars and muesli|
All-inclusive, people are generally confused between Flapjacks and Pancakes and don’t know whether they are the same desserts or do they have some differences. That’s why I did a Flapjacks vs Pancakes comparison.
There do exist a lot of differences between these two sweet delights, and they are definitely not the same. The differences are in Appearance, toppings, texture, cooking methods, time of eating, servings, varieties, and even in the names.
But one thing I am sure of is that both of these desserts are super delicious to eat. Follow the cooking method I have described and enjoy these delish sweet dishes.